Innovation and Technology Fund for Better Living
The Innovation and Technology Fund for Better Living (“FBL”) is a scheme for funding innovation and technology ("I&T") projects which will make people’s
daily living more convenient, comfortable and safer, or address the needs of
specific community groups. The FBL with a funding size of HK$500 million is
expected to operate for 5 years with effect from 2017-18.
- Projects should be able to benefit the public at large or specific groups, and should be in line with government policies
- Projects should involve the innovative application of technologies
- Project themes include daily living, education, environment, health, safety, transport, etc. which can benefit the community
- Project deliverables can be in the form of mobile apps, products, devices, equipment, tools, services, software, or any other forms with valid justifications
- Project deliverables should be rolled out within 12 months and run for at least two consecutive years after roll-out (except for projects that are one-off in nature)
- An approved project will receive a grant up to 90% of the total eligible costs of the project or HK$5 million, whichever is the less
- Projects should not be profit-making during the funding period
- Projects should primarily be developed within Hong Kong
Eligibility for FBL
Eligible Applicants include:
- Non-governmental organisations receiving subvention from the Social Welfare Department. This link is relevant
- Public bodies under Section 2 of the Prevention of Bribery Ordinance (Cap. 201), except the Government Bureaux/Departments, the Executive Council and the Legislative Council. Schedule 1 to Cap. 201 is relevant
- Professional bodies
- Trade associations
The above organisations should either be registered under the Companies Ordinance (Cap. 622) or the former Companies Ordinance (Cap. 32); or statutory corporations established under any Ordinances in Hong Kong. Other organisations may also be considered under exceptional circumstances.
Assessment Mechanism and Criteria
Applications will be considered by the FBL Assessment Panel. The terms of reference and membership of the Assessment Panel are at here.
The Assessment Panel will assess each eligible application based on the following criteria -
- Benefits brought to the public or specific community group(s)
- Innovation and technology content
- Feasibility and sustainability
- Financial considerations
- Technical and management capability of the Applicant
How to apply
Applications are open all year round, subject to the availability of fund under the FBL. Applications should be submitted either –
- through the Administrative System of the Innovation and Technology Bureau - Fund for Better Living ("ASITB - FBL") [under construction and to be rolled out shortly. In the meantime, please apply through paper submission.]; or
- by post or in person, with (i) a duly completed Application Form (in original) together with all the required documents; and (ii) a soft copy of the application (sent by email to email@example.com). The application should be addressed or brought to the FBL Secretariat on 26/F, Central Government Offices, 2 Tim Mei Avenue, Tamar, Hong Kong
Applicants are encouraged to submit applications through the Administrative System [under construction and to be rolled out shortly].
Find out more about the FBL
Innovation and Technology Bureau
||26/F, Central Government Offices, 2 Tim Mei Avenue, Tamar, Hong Kong
||(852) 3655 4826
||(852) 2530 2018
These documents are in Portable Document Format (PDF). You need to install the free Adobe Acobat Reader XI or above to read them.